From: atoth@××××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:45:52
1 On Sze, Február 13, 2008 06:07, Geoff Kassel wrote:
2 >
3 > No problems. My background in QA is primarily regression testing and code
4 > quality reviews (although it's been ages since I've done any of this with
5 > C) - my formal methods background is formal specification, model checking,
6 > theorem proving, and formal derivation of code from formal specification.
7 > (Yes, I'm a recovering academic :)
8
9 It would be a good strategy IMHO to recruit graduates to work on security
10 stuff. It's a really fascinating topic to immerse in the depth of the
11 toolchain and its security features - for a passionate graduate. Of course
12 it requires a supervisor...
15 > While I'm dreaming I'd also like to do something about making GRSEC easier
17 > set up (an upstream issue, I know) as it has so much promise, and the
18
19 I think grsec would need some kind of configuration mechanism similar to
20 SELinux. It could be either implemented on a per-ebuild basis or as a base
21 policy. That could be further extended with additional features according
22 to the particular box. Using m4 would be a good candidate to generate the
23 redundant per user stuff. I think many of us could contribute to the
24 policy. The hardest task would be to agree on the differences regarding
25 the security requirements. But that could be made configurable also.
26 Configuration intelligence could investigate the contents of the conf
27 directory to tailor the policy to the specific settings...
28
29 > basic
30 > configuration isn't nearly as paranoid as I'd like it to be :) and it's
31 > very
32 > difficult and time-consuming to make it so. I gave up doing so, and I like
34 > think I'm not a complete n00b. PaX, PIE and SSP are practically
35 > fire-and-forget in comparison.
36
37 I have to regularly revise my policy to keep the box running. I've also
38 ended up loosening the security in order to make the system usable.
41 > Speaking of PaX, another great, impossible thing would be to have a
42 > kernel-level feature for handling PaX violations in a less violent manner
43 > (core dumps are violent, in my mind) - perhaps suspension of the process
44 > in
45 > question until investigated, with the possibility of resumption or
46 > termination by someone with sufficient security permissions. (Perhaps I'm
47 > just unaware of an already existing feature.) Again, an upstream issue.
48
49 I think it depends on the type of denial. If it's a textrel, that's not so
50 serious. However if it's a stack-smashing: I don't want to have a single
51 piece of those code on my system...
52
53 Regards,
54 Dw.
55 --
56 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus Szakorvos jelölt, 06-20-825-8057, 06-30-5962-962
57 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist in Training, +36-20-825-8057, +36-30-5962-962
61 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list