From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened gentoo and hibernation
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:44:13
1 > >Once you
2 > > patch, there are many resources and HOWTOs available discussing the
3 > > steps to use the suspend2 toolkit to encrypt your hibernation image.
4 > So is that overkill for novice to do in two weeks?
5 Probably; I would suggest starting from the suspend2-sources and
6 evaluating how you need to go forward from there.
7
8 > Else -
9 > how to ensure, that virtual machine doesn`t make some internet
10 > connections and that it cannot access sensitive files? As to me, it
11 > seams to be some kind of untrusted processes disconnection.
12 Unless you really mess with the security of your virtualization layer
13 of choice (VMWare, Xen, qemu, etc.), access to sensitive files
14 shouldn't be a problem - the guest is sandboxed into it's own private
15 virtual environment. Most of those also add host-only networking
16 bridges that allow you to very precisely control what network
17 resources the guest has access to. RSBAC would help some with
18 file-access, but virtualization really should take care of that;
19 neither hardened-sources nor rsbac-sources really provide you extra
20 tools to control network access, as they're already there in the
21 kernel (iptables, ebtables, 802.3 bridging, etc.).
22
23 > >powered off, buried in 10 feet of concrete
24 > data must be used properly, not buried .. which is easy to say.
25 Certainly, but my tendency as a native English speaker was to make the
26 point in hyperbole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole) rather
27 than be literal. My apologies for not considering the translation.
28 --
29 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list