From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:51:59
1 On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 09:46 +0200, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:27:21AM +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
5 > > Attatched is a slightly modified version of the exploit that should
6 > > compile for you. (uses sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE) rather than PAGE_SIZE from
7 > > asm/page.h)
8 >
9 > Actually, such sort of mistakes in exploits exists just to prevent it
10 > compiling by people who unable to fix it,
11
12 you mean ppl like you?
13 it could also be that this code is very old as explained in the comment
14 in the header and used to work.
15
16 > so it isn't really good idea to
17 > post fixed version in public maillist - at least you can send it using
18 > private email.
19
20 how do i know that you are not a "bad" guy that are "not supposed" to be
21 able to compile it?
22
23 > Anyway, this exploit doesn't work as 'local root' on my
24 > '2.6.20-hardened-r10 SMP' - but looks like it leak some kernel memory on
25 > each execution, so running it in a `while :; do ...; done` will result in
26 > hang in about a minute, so it at least 'local DoS' exploit.
27 >
28 > Is there any plans to backport patch for this bug to .20 hardened kernel?
29 > I'm not upgraded yet to .23 kernel because of few issues with PaX
30 > mentioned in this maillist in last months... :(
31
32 This one should apply or you can apply it manually.
33
34 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=712a30e63c8066ed84385b12edbfb804f49cbc44
35
36 > --