From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 11:00:34
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 1 May 2017 12:24:14 +0200 Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
4 [...]
5 > Summing up:
6 >
7 > * PaX is the most important part of Gentoo Hardened project
8 > (Grsecurity, SELinux, RSBAC)
9 >
10 > * We can't use the 'grsecurity' name, which means that fork of
11 > grsecurity == rewriting everything with 'grsecurity' (or 'grsec')
12 > name... (~225k LOC grsec+PaX)
13 >
14 > * PaX (~176k LOC) is available as a separate patch (1), so we can use
15 > it without the risk of 'grsecurity' trademark
16 >
17 > My opinion is: we should continue to use PaX patch and keep the Gentoo
18 > Hardened project alive.
19 >
20 > (1) https://www.grsecurity.net/~paxguy1/
21
22 Are you sure PaX patches will be updated? Because PaXTeam claims
23 they will not be published [1]:
24
25 "As this is a joint decision, there will be no public PaX patches
26 for future kernels. This is effective April 26th 2017."
27
28 Or do you suggest to support PaX with our own resources?
29
30 [1] https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton_faq.php
33 Best regards,
34 Andrew Savchenko