From: "Daniel Cegiełka" <daniel.cegielka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 10:24:43
1 2017-05-01 11:38 GMT+02:00 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > There is a nice debate ongoing on the mailinglist [1] on the topic of
5 > grsecurity's recent decision to no longer provide the test patches to the
6 > public. I'd like to keep the debate on the rationale of it in that
7 > discussion, but focus here on what we, from Gentoo Hardened, now need to do
8 > or which direction we're going to move forward with.
9 >
10 > [1]
11 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-hardened/message/a06145056b167f52c079bffd9c9a51ac
12 >
13 > The obvious step is indeed to stop further *current* development on
14 > hardened-sources. I don't know how many additional patchsets are being
15 > implemented in it (blueness? Zorry?) so I don't know if it means that
16 > hardened-sources in total is done with or not.
17
18 Hi,
19
20 I have already written my opinion:
21
22 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-hardened/message/97ccd6d5eb7f94c3cce2ac48ed41a7bb
23
24 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-hardened/message/139ab72c413b2b83e08c948b061882bf
27 Summing up:
28
29 * PaX is the most important part of Gentoo Hardened project
30 (Grsecurity, SELinux, RSBAC)
31
32 * We can't use the 'grsecurity' name, which means that fork of
33 grsecurity == rewriting everything with 'grsecurity' (or 'grsec')
34 name... (~225k LOC grsec+PaX)
35
36 * PaX (~176k LOC) is available as a separate patch (1), so we can use
37 it without the risk of 'grsecurity' trademark
38
39 My opinion is: we should continue to use PaX patch and keep the Gentoo
40 Hardened project alive.
41
42 (1) https://www.grsecurity.net/~paxguy1/
43