From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:29:24
1 On 10/19/2013 02:20 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > Due to my own stupidity (forgot to mount ext3 with -o user_xattr), I
3 > noticed that many ebuilds call pax-mark without a corresponding "||
4 > die". Since pax-mark returns non-zero on failure, does not die itself,
5 > and is most likely required for the package to work, it seems like the
6 > 'die' should be there.
7 >
8 > Agreed? I could start filing bugs against the individual packages. The
9 > eclass docs are pretty clear to me, but maybe @hardened can add a note
10 > that 'die' is required on pax-mark?
11 >
12 > Or perhaps the function should die on its own? I believe the error
13 > message would be consistent; it might not make sense to add the same
14 > 'die' to every ebuild.
17 Can you check to see if the || die is required only on packages before
18 EAPI = 5? Or is it on all EAPI versions?
19
20 Having said that, I'm not sure we want the ebuild to fail just because
21 pax-mark fails. People on vanilla profiles without xattr support will
22 be annoyed.
25 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
26 Chair of Information Technology
27 D'Youville College