From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:56:58
1 On 10/19/2013 08:29 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 >
3 > Can you check to see if the || die is required only on packages before
4 > EAPI = 5? Or is it on all EAPI versions?
5
6 It's required anywhere you want the ebuild to die when pax-mark fails.
7 AFAIK, the EAPI >= 4 auto-die behavior only applies to the commands
8 listed in the PMS under "Ebuild-specific Commands".
11 > Having said that, I'm not sure we want the ebuild to fail just because
12 > pax-mark fails. People on vanilla profiles without xattr support will
13 > be annoyed.
14
15 Can this be done in the profiles instead of the eclass?
16
17 Right now, the eclass sets PAX_MARKINGS="PT" for everyone when the
18 variable is unset. On hardened, we probably want PAX_MARKINGS="PT" for
19 now, PAX_MARKINGS="PT XT" later, and PAX_MARKINGS="XT" eventually.
20
21 Non-hardened users don't care about the markings[1], so it doesn't
22 matter to them whether or not pax-mark fails. But for hardened users,
23 the package will be broken, so the ebuild should die.
24
25 What would happen it we changed the line,
26
27 PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="PT"}
28
29 in the eclass, to,
30
31 PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="none"}
32
33 and added,
34
35 PAX_MARKINGS="PT"
36
37 to the hardened make.defaults?
41 [1] There may be exceptions to this rule, but if we remove the PT
42 default for non-hardened users, they can still set PAX_MARKINGS in
43 make.conf if they want the markings.