From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 23:39:17
1 On 10/19/2013 08:56 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/19/2013 08:29 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Can you check to see if the || die is required only on packages before
5 >> EAPI = 5? Or is it on all EAPI versions?
6 >
7 > It's required anywhere you want the ebuild to die when pax-mark fails.
8 > AFAIK, the EAPI >= 4 auto-die behavior only applies to the commands
9 > listed in the PMS under "Ebuild-specific Commands".
12 >> Having said that, I'm not sure we want the ebuild to fail just because
13 >> pax-mark fails. People on vanilla profiles without xattr support will
14 >> be annoyed.
15 >
16 > Can this be done in the profiles instead of the eclass?
17 >
18 > Right now, the eclass sets PAX_MARKINGS="PT" for everyone when the
19 > variable is unset. On hardened, we probably want PAX_MARKINGS="PT" for
20 > now, PAX_MARKINGS="PT XT" later, and PAX_MARKINGS="XT" eventually.
21 >
22 > Non-hardened users don't care about the markings[1], so it doesn't
23 > matter to them whether or not pax-mark fails. But for hardened users,
24 > the package will be broken, so the ebuild should die.
25 >
26 > What would happen it we changed the line,
27 >
28 > PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="PT"}
29 >
30 > in the eclass, to,
31 >
32 > PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="none"}
33 >
34 > and added,
35 >
36 > PAX_MARKINGS="PT"
37 >
38 > to the hardened make.defaults?
42 > [1] There may be exceptions to this rule, but if we remove the PT
43 > default for non-hardened users, they can still set PAX_MARKINGS in
44 > make.conf if they want the markings.
47 The profile idea is a good one, but I'm always worried about people who
48 switch profiles. If we don't do the markings on *all* gentoo systems,
49 then someone switching from vanilla to hardened may have to re-emerge
50 lots of packages. Unlike PT_PAX which is guaranteed to be there for
51 systems compiled on gentoo, XT_PAX markings are more fragile and depend
52 on the filesystem being able to sustain them.
57 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
58 Chair of Information Technology
59 D'Youville College
60 Buffalo, NY 14201