From: "Amadeusz Sławiński" <amade@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] die() required on pax-mark?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:26:02
1 On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:39:10 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/19/2013 08:56 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > On 10/19/2013 08:29 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Can you check to see if the || die is required only on packages
8 > >> before EAPI = 5? Or is it on all EAPI versions?
9 > >
10 > > It's required anywhere you want the ebuild to die when pax-mark
11 > > fails. AFAIK, the EAPI >= 4 auto-die behavior only applies to the
12 > > commands listed in the PMS under "Ebuild-specific Commands".
15 > >> Having said that, I'm not sure we want the ebuild to fail just
16 > >> because pax-mark fails. People on vanilla profiles without xattr
17 > >> support will be annoyed.
18 > >
19 > > Can this be done in the profiles instead of the eclass?
20 > >
21 > > Right now, the eclass sets PAX_MARKINGS="PT" for everyone when the
22 > > variable is unset. On hardened, we probably want PAX_MARKINGS="PT"
23 > > for now, PAX_MARKINGS="PT XT" later, and PAX_MARKINGS="XT"
24 > > eventually.
25 > >
26 > > Non-hardened users don't care about the markings[1], so it doesn't
27 > > matter to them whether or not pax-mark fails. But for hardened
28 > > users, the package will be broken, so the ebuild should die.
29 > >
30 > > What would happen it we changed the line,
31 > >
32 > > PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="PT"}
33 > >
34 > > in the eclass, to,
35 > >
36 > > PAX_MARKINGS=${PAX_MARKINGS:="none"}
37 > >
38 > > and added,
39 > >
40 > > PAX_MARKINGS="PT"
41 > >
42 > > to the hardened make.defaults?
46 > > [1] There may be exceptions to this rule, but if we remove the PT
47 > > default for non-hardened users, they can still set PAX_MARKINGS in
48 > > make.conf if they want the markings.
51 > The profile idea is a good one, but I'm always worried about people
52 > who switch profiles. If we don't do the markings on *all* gentoo
53 > systems, then someone switching from vanilla to hardened may have to
54 > re-emerge lots of packages. Unlike PT_PAX which is guaranteed to be
55 > there for systems compiled on gentoo, XT_PAX markings are more
56 > fragile and depend on the filesystem being able to sustain them.
61 I will just note that people changing profile usually should rebuild
62 world anyway, to have everything build with hardened toolchain.
63 So maybe just add another step to hardened guide, like reboot into
64 xattr enabled kernel before building stuff.