From: lunaslide <lunaslide@××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] AMD64 + hardened
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:02:09
1 Ed W wrote:
2 > lunaslide wrote:
3 >> You should be able to just install a generic gentoo if necessary, then
4 >> change the profile over, change make.conf CFLAGS and 'emerge -e world'
5 >> (possibly twice to get all the software rebuilt with the hardened
6 >> toolchain) and have it running 64bit hardened. Putting
7 >> '-march=athlon64 -msse3' in your CFLAGS should get you what you want.
8 >> Do not use -O3, it's unstable and generally not worth it anyway.
9 >
10 > Is this really true? There are some notes in the 64 bit install doc
11 > saying that it's *not* this easy and that some stuff needs to be
12 > changed, especially to support a mixed 32/64 bit environment? Something
13 > about multi-lib?
14 >
15 > Ed W
16
17 You're referring to running 32bit programs on a 64bit OS. That does
18 require the multilib stuff. But rebuilding the whole system from
19 scratch with emerge -e world will build everything 64 bit. And if I
20 recall correctly, when I was doing this with my box, it built two
21 versions of glibc and portage even warned me it was doing so. So it
22 might be building multilib just as a result of rebuilding the system 64bit.
23
24 I'm just delving into this lately though, so someone please correct me
25 if I misunderstood it.
28 lunaslide * * * *
30 We can't have lasting peace unless we work actively and vigorously
31 to bring about conditions of freedom and justice in the world.
32 * * - Harry Truman at West Point, 1952 * *
33 * *
35 --
36 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list