From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Progress towards XATTR_PAX in Gentoo.
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 05:32:15
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13:26PM -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > The best way to get to know what its all about is to help me with the
5 > documentation. I'll upload it after discussion. Its at
6 >
7 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/zzz/pax-quickstart.xml
8 >
9 > It describes pretty much anything. Give it a read and let me know what
10 > you think should be added.
11
12 Actually I think a lot should be removed instead. Right now it's
13 overcomplicated and overloaded with useless internals/details.
14 The name "QuickStart" suppose it to be read by end-users, especially ones
15 which wanna do their work fast without deep digging.
16
17 There are too many ways to do same things, and too many tools doing same
18 things. I think it makes more sense to concentrate on user's use cases,
19 instead of implementation details.
20
21 Such use cases as:
22 - how to quickly convert my system to XATTR_PAX
23 - how to quickly convert it back PT_PAX
24 - which ordinary operations may damage/drop PaX settings on elf
25 (should mention things like minimal tar version which preserve xattrs,
26 issues with copying/moving/scping/etc., …)
27 - is ebuilds which currently do paxmarking will automatically use
28 XATTR_PAX when it's enabled?
29 - what happens with custom xattrs on file after re-emerging package
30 containing that file?
31 - how to find and paxmark all binaries which use libraries like libGL.so.1
32 And the less tools you'll use to do these tasks - the better.
35 P.S. One more possible typo which I forget to include in personal email to
36 you: at "Code Listing 5.4: paxctl -h" flag "-d" mentioned in "Usage" but
37 not documented in "Options".
40 WBR, Alex.