From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptop: am I nuts?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:24:17
1 On 05/12/2007, Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 11:39:04AM -0800, Ned Ludd wrote:
5 > > I already made it 100% clear! You can not upgrade cleanly unless you do
6 > > a lot of work. far more work than any gentoo dev in his right mind will
7 > > tell you or suggest. In short. IT DOES NOT WORK! It's never worked. The
8 > > amd64 team does not support it. Hardened does not support it.
9 > > So.. I'll state it yet again.. "Complete Reinstall"
10 >
11 > Thanks! Looks like my decision to continue working in 32-bit mode even on
12 > modern processors save me from additional troubles. :) And good luck to
13 > all people who choose to work in 64-bit mode!
14
15 There's nothing wrong with 64-bit and I'd hasten to add that if you
16 have a capable processor in a desktop or server, you'd be nuts not to
17 take advantage of it with applications that're able - there are big
18 performance gains to be had.
19
20 It's really very simple, if you want to *ever* run a 32-bit
21 application, you install with a multilib profile.
22 --
23 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list