From: Viktors Rotanovs <viktors@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: mycroes@××××××.nl
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Production server security
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:34:23
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 Michael wrote:
4 > I co-admin 2 servers running x86_64 gentoo installs. Due to not updating
5 > the servers for a longer period, there were several major security
6 > issues which at least allowed for someone to run a ftp server on it
7 > without me knowing about it.
8 >
9 > Because a lot of stuff is still outdated and this was the first install
10 > for the servers I want to reinstall them, again using gentoo. My own
11 > idea was to isolate the web and mail-server in Xen virtual machines, so
12 > that if someone's ever able to get in they can only bring down a small
13 > part, which can easily be restored.
14 >
15 > Now my question is, would this be a good way to at least partly secure
16 > the machine? Or should I use something from the hardened depot to
17 > increase the security levels on these servers? The problem now was that
18 > one program had a bug in it which could even give remote users root
19 > access to the entire machine, which could've also caused loss of data
20 > the program was not related to. By isolating in Xen domains this problem
21 > is partly solved, but it does also bring a few other problems along.
22
23 Chroot hardening using grsecurity (with TPE enabled) IMHO provides even
24 better protection (but your opinion may differ), because it prevents
25 several common types of attacks.
26 Xen = protection against mythical attacks
27 GRsecurity+PAX = protection against real-world script kiddies (99% of cases)
28
29 GRSecurity makes hacking extremely inconvenient even if you have shell
30 account in chroot, and unusual files are easily detectable via simple
31 file monitoring tools running outside that chroot. You can also enable
32 netconsole logging to secure loghost to catch hacking attempts/IPs in
33 realtime.
34
35 Regarding Xen, hacked website inside a Xen VM still can collect user
36 data, credit card numbers, etc., as well as serve as a place to scan
37 internal networks if they exist.
38
39 If you use PHP, keep in mind that history tells that PHP is very
40 insecure. You can:
41 - improve your php.ini (disable allow_url_fopen, etc.)
42 - check http://www.hardened-php.org/
43 - check http://www.modsecurity.org/
44
45 > I hope someone that has had or is avoiding these same problems can shed
46 > some light on it...
47
48 I'm very happy with grsec+hardened gentoo for several years, on >50
49 servers (athlon xp, amd64, some intels).
50
51 > Greetings,
52 >
53 > Michael