From: Michael <mycroes@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Production server security
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:10:56
1 Hi all,
2
3 I co-admin 2 servers running x86_64 gentoo installs. Due to not updating
4 the servers for a longer period, there were several major security
5 issues which at least allowed for someone to run a ftp server on it
6 without me knowing about it.
7
8 Because a lot of stuff is still outdated and this was the first install
9 for the servers I want to reinstall them, again using gentoo. My own
10 idea was to isolate the web and mail-server in Xen virtual machines, so
11 that if someone's ever able to get in they can only bring down a small
12 part, which can easily be restored.
13
14 Now my question is, would this be a good way to at least partly secure
15 the machine? Or should I use something from the hardened depot to
16 increase the security levels on these servers? The problem now was that
17 one program had a bug in it which could even give remote users root
18 access to the entire machine, which could've also caused loss of data
19 the program was not related to. By isolating in Xen domains this problem
20 is partly solved, but it does also bring a few other problems along.
21
22 I hope someone that has had or is avoiding these same problems can shed
23 some light on it...
24 Greetings,
25
26 Michael