From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:18:26
Gordon Malm wrote:
> It is my estimation that flag was disabled by mistake on the > hardened/linux/${arch} profiles. I have re-enabled it. Should be fixed on > your next sync
Yearggg... oh bother... It's been like that for a whilst so I took it as a hint and just updated 8 servers this way... I *think* I actually have very little need for nls? I believe that given it's "a server" and given only admins who all speak the same language will access it, then the only times I need nls are for specific client applications which need translation? So as near as I can tell I only need it for certain web applications (PHP, squirrelmail, etc) - can someone confirm or deny that this is a correct understanding of how nls actually works out? The main reason I care is that I have a lot of linux-vservers and it's obviously helpful to sync USE flags across as many machines as practical in order to make use of binary packages. Anyone care to comment on why else I might care to standardise on nls enabled or disabled for a mail/web server type installation? It's been very deliberately marked as removed, so I wondered if there was a history of bugs in gettext which argued for it not to be on by default? Cheers Ed W