From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:18:26
1 Gordon Malm wrote:
2 > It is my estimation that flag was disabled by mistake on the
3 > hardened/linux/${arch} profiles. I have re-enabled it. Should be fixed on
4 > your next sync
5
6 Yearggg... oh bother...
7
8 It's been like that for a whilst so I took it as a hint and just updated
9 8 servers this way...
10
11 I *think* I actually have very little need for nls? I believe that
12 given it's "a server" and given only admins who all speak the same
13 language will access it, then the only times I need nls are for specific
14 client applications which need translation? So as near as I can tell I
15 only need it for certain web applications (PHP, squirrelmail, etc) - can
16 someone confirm or deny that this is a correct understanding of how nls
17 actually works out?
18
19 The main reason I care is that I have a lot of linux-vservers and it's
20 obviously helpful to sync USE flags across as many machines as practical
21 in order to make use of binary packages.
22
23 Anyone care to comment on why else I might care to standardise on nls
24 enabled or disabled for a mail/web server type installation?
25
26 It's been very deliberately marked as removed, so I wondered if there
27 was a history of bugs in gettext which argued for it not to be on by
28 default?
29
30 Cheers
31