From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Failure when "switching" to hardened-gentoo profile
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:00:43
1 On 25 Oct 2008 at 21:44, Jan Klod wrote:
2
3 > Hello.
4 >
5 > I was trying to make a switch form normal, freshly installed gentoo to
6 > hardened like described in PaX quickstart.
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pax-quickstart.xml Though, that
8 > guide is missing to inform about when should I boot hardened-sources.
9 > Not sure if after "emerge binutils gcc virtual/libc" or "emerge -e
10 > world", but I got this error, which persists:
11 >
13 > *** stack smashing detected ***: cc1 - terminated
14 > cc1: stack smashing attack in function ix86_split_to_parts - terminated
15
16 i don't know if you're supposed to use ssp on gcc itself, but apparently it
17 caught some bug, whether that's some miscompilation or a real bug in gcc, i
18 can't tell from this, but it's worth a look. if you just want to finish your
19 install, you should recompile gcc itself without using ssp during compilation
20 (that can be tricky, i don't know where the specs file comes from in that
21 case).