From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] What does the pic USE flag do these days?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:46:04
1 On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 00:16:48 +0100
2 Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:24:27 +0200
5 > Hanno Böck <hanno@××××××.de> wrote:
6 >
7 > > If the flag just disables assembly optimizations then I wonder if it
8 > > should be renamed (or if we need it at all - in case these assembly
9 > > optimizations have no downsides).
10 >
11 > Many (all?) of the ebuilds with this flag do indeed only disable
12 > assembly snippets, and most of them only do this on 32-bit x86 (gzip
13 > being the prominent exception).
14
15 And ffmpeg and mesa.
16
17 In ffmpeg the flag description says:
18 "Force shared libraries to be built as PIC (this is slower)"
19
20 Which confuses me - I thought shared libraries are always PIC.
21
22 It looks to me these are all historic leftovers, but I'd like to
23 understand it better before I open bugs asking for removal of these
24 flags.
27 Hanno Böck
28 https://hboeck.de/
29
30 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
31 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42