From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] What does the pic USE flag do these days?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 23:16:55
1 On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:24:27 +0200
2 Hanno Böck <hanno@××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > If the flag just disables assembly optimizations then I wonder if it
5 > should be renamed (or if we need it at all - in case these assembly
6 > optimizations have no downsides).
7
8 Many (all?) of the ebuilds with this flag do indeed only disable
9 assembly snippets, and most of them only do this on 32-bit x86 (gzip
10 being the prominent exception).
11
12 I haven't looked at any code yet, but I think it could be a good idea
13 to just remove the flag (and hard-wire it to true in the cases where it
14 only affects x86-32, examine the situation a bit further for gzip).
15
16 Cheers,
17 Luis Ressel