From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive (WAS: latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:21:43
1 On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 11:15 +1000, Geoff Kassel wrote:
2 > Another wagon jumper here :)
3 >
4 > My fledgling hosting and software development business is based on hardened
5 > Gentoo, so I'd hate to see this project die.
6
7 I work for a rather large online game hosting company and we also rely
8 heavily on the use of hardened for nearly all DIA facing nodes. I've
9 gone out of my way to make sure it's stable for what we need. No matter
10 what I'll be maintaining something somewhere and I'm always willing to
11 share my work, which should work for ~90% of all enterprise cases. So
12 don't worry there. We Hardened/Gentoo are short staffed at the moment..
13 Not about to go KABOOM..
14
15 Anyway my biggest problem is I lack the time to test user configurations
16 of services in bugzilla. That's alot of work! And many times people are
17 reporting whats already been fixed elsewhere. Another one of my biggest
18 problems is I fix something locally and forget that it never got pushed
19 to the tree. So when I sometimes see bugs in zilla I simply ignore them
20 because in my mind I think they are non problem.
21
22 > I'm quite time and money poor as
23 > a new business owner,
24
25 Hey don't worry there. This is not a finical problem or a lack of
26 hardware. As well as a dev I'm also a sponsor to Gentoo of many of it's
27 core infrastructure boxes. (10G backbone to 1G IBM Blades)
28
29 > but I have a fair skill set to offer when I do get
30 > time. I'm a reasonably experienced Python, PHP, and C programmer. (Although
31 > my C is a bit rusty, having lost ground to the others through under use.)
34 > I've got a formal methods and QA background, if that's useful in any way.
35
36 Hell fscking yeah it is.
37
38 I'd actually like to talk with you more about the Hardened-QA topic
39 later if we could.
42 > I'm
43 > handy with VMWare, so I can test experimental kernels and Portage trees, if
44 > that's not already covered by a build farm elsewhere.
45
46 It pretty much is covered. I've got a few hardened tinderboxes running
47 to test these various setups.
48 * hardened/amd64/multilib
49 * hardened/ia64
50 * hardened/ppc
51 * hardened/x86
52
53 http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/html/
56 > I'm reasonably
57 > literate, if documentation needs to be written or revised.
58
59 Yeah actually that might be a good idea.
60 Feel free to review hardened-toolchain.xml
61
62 > Is there a way the time-poor can help out? I can immediately offer some
63 > hosting, if that's not already covered by the Gentoo Foundation - monetary
64 > donations are probably a few months away. (Is there a way to donate
65 > specifically to the hardened project, by the way?) I can also offer some CPU
66 > time on two mid-range hardened Gentoo servers with shared storage in a
67 > high-availability data centre in Australia for compilation nodes, if that's
68 > any use.
69
70 Not needed. As noted the game hosting provider I'm affiliated with has
71 spare 632 blades across 75 chassis at the moment that are all Dual and
72 Quad Core. I rarely ever need more than 2 per datacenter.
73
74 > How may I be of assistance?
75
76 Go take a peek at bugzilla and see if there are any open bugs related to
77 hardened with are BOGUS, or can be resolved. If you have some tips for
78 others. Perhaps offer them.
79 Or..
80 Well other than asking how you can help.. How about trying to look at it
81 from a perspective of.
82 "How can I best use my existing skills to make the hardened project a
83 little more kickass?"
86 > Kind regards,
87 >
88 > Geoff Kassel.