From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:02:40
1 On 06/15/11 07:35, Jean-François Maeyhieux wrote:
2 > Hi !
3 >
4 > another "hardcore" solution could be to create a chroot fresh
5 > installation whithin you import your system's preferences:
6 >
7 > - Create directory - Untar last hardened stage 3 - Copy your /etc in
8 > the chroot - Copy your world file in the chroot - Copy any kind of
9 > data or local aplication to your chroot - chroot and update your
10 > system - when things is done, test it - wipe your old gentoo and
11 > move your chrooted one on /
14 > that's "hardcore" but permit me several times to ressucite a old
15 > gentoo system.
16 >
17 > IF you can't do it, the normal way is:
18 >
19 > - Recompile your toolchain by compiling twice this ports:
20 > virtual/portage virtual/os-headers sys-libs/glibc
21 > sys-devel/binutils-config sys-devel/binutils sys-devel/gcc-config
22 > (don't forget to switch your gcc on the way and to clean your ccache
23 > if you use it) - Recompile your system (emerge -Davut system) -
24 > Finally recompile your world.
28 Somewhere you need to fool with profiles and make.conf. I *think* the
29 profiles will add, e.g., "hardened" to your gcc flag
30
31 There used to be a wiki somewhere that described the building of
32 hardened-gentoo step by step after branching off from the gentoo
33 handbook - to upgrade a standard box. It may have been called
34 gentooexperimental, but appears now dead.
35
36 IF anyone can point me to current documentation about building a
37 hardened box (which should include the make.conf and other hardened
38 settings), please post it here.
39
40 TIA