From: basile <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: pageexec@××××××××.hu
Cc: tinhat@××××××××××××××.edu, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, hardened-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tin Hat 20091218 is out!
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:28:14
1 pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > On 21 Dec 2009 at 9:38, basile wrote:
5 >> Tobias Klein from trapkit.de was kind enough to allow us to bundle his
6 >> checksec.sh script which tests system binaries or running processes for
7 >> relro, ssp, nx, pie and aslr. Every binary shows these hardening
8 >> features enabled except X and evolution which have only partial relro.
9 >> A comparison of a running Tin Hat system and a running Ubuntu system can
10 >> be see at
11 >>
12 >> http://opensource.dyc.edu/sites/default/files/karmic-checksec.txt
13 >> http://opensource.dyc.edu/sites/default/files/tinhat-checksec.txt
16 > what are the causes for the partial RELRO results?
17 >
18 Because of some circular dependencies in its libraries, evolution has to
19 be linked with -z,lazy. If you use -z,now, the resulting binaries don't
20 work. Its a known problem which upstream promises will be fixed in
21 evolution-3.x
22
23 I don't know the story why X fails with -z,now, but Magnus (aka Zorry)
24 told me of a patch on one of the overlays which fixes this. I will test.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Chair of Information Technology
30 D'Youville College
31 Buffalo, NY 14201