From: Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Invalid opcode
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:02:15
1 This isn't really a hardened issue specifically, but since that's the
2 profile I'm running and this is the list that I'm already subscribed to,
3 thought I'd go ahead and post here. See if one of you folks can offer
4 some suggestions for me.
5
6 I have a old Pentium 4 machine with a fresh stable amd64 hardened
7 install that I am planning to use as a dedicated Asterisk server.
8 Everything seems fine with one exception. I cannot unmerge any
9 packages. Neither --depclean or -C will work. They both bomb out as
10 soon as the 5 second countdown starts. The message said Invalid
11 instruction and the syslog indicated it was in time.so
12
13 klogd: emerge[28440] trap invalid opcode ip:2612992f7ac sp:3bbcc5cea60
14 error:0 in time.so[2612992d000+4000]
15
16 Then as I was working on asterisk when I got to the point where I was
17 configuring voicemail and was trying to record the name from a phone
18 extension, asterisk crashed after starting the recording. It will limit
19 the length of the recording to just a few seconds, so the common factor
20 here seems to be related to counting seconds. Here is the message from
21 syslog about Asterisk.
22
23 klogd: asterisk[2794] trap invalid opcode ip:1bd2a5e33a sp:2bb49ccdeb0
24 error:0 in asterisk[1bd29a3000+202000]
25
26 I did some poking around with google and so far haven't come up with
27 anything too useful. I ran memtest86+ for around 11 hours and it didn't
28 come up with any errors. So, I'm thinking I've got something borked in
29 my USE flags or system config, but I really don't know what it could
30 be. The system seems stable and the problem isn't random. Anyone have
31 ideas on what I can try to get this resolved? Here is the cpuinfo in
32 case that is helpful.....
33
34 cat /proc/cpuinfo
35 processor : 0
36 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
37 cpu family : 15
38 model : 4
39 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
40 stepping : 3
41 microcode : 0x5
42 cpu MHz : 2992.342
43 cache size : 2048 KB
44 physical id : 0
45 siblings : 2
46 core id : 0
47 cpu cores : 1
48 apicid : 0
49 initial apicid : 0
50 fpu : yes
51 fpu_exception : yes
52 cpuid level : 5
53 wp : yes
54 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
55 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
56 syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts nopl pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est
57 cid cx16 xtpr
58 bogomips : 5984.68
59 clflush size : 64
60 cache_alignment : 128
61 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
62 power management:
63
64 processor : 1
65 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
66 cpu family : 15
67 model : 4
68 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
69 stepping : 3
70 microcode : 0x5
71 cpu MHz : 2992.342
72 cache size : 2048 KB
73 physical id : 0
74 siblings : 2
75 core id : 0
76 cpu cores : 1
77 apicid : 1
78 initial apicid : 1
79 fpu : yes
80 fpu_exception : yes
81 cpuid level : 5
82 wp : yes
83 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
84 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
85 syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts nopl pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est
86 cid cx16 xtpr
87 bogomips : 5984.74
88 clflush size : 64
89 cache_alignment : 128
90 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
91 power management:
94 Stan & HD Tashi Grad 10/08 Edgewood, NM SWR
95 PR - Cindy and Jenny - Sammamish, WA NWR
96 http://www.cci.org