From: Gavin <gavin@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Documentation
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 05:38:24
1 I was just wishing for an active community of users contributing to the documentation, and hoping for a simple way for users to easily contribute tidbits. Maybe the PHP team's approach might be more appealing that a Wiki? They certainly have successfully collected bazillions of helpful notes, suggestions, examples, etc. from many users. Then again, the user base of PHP is different than Hardened Gentoo.
2
3 Nedd wrote:
4 > WiKi are not mirrored items. Gentoo uses .xml for all of it's documentation.
5
6 It could be crawled/snapshotted, then mirrored using appropriate links (e.g. if someone clicks "Edit") to the master copy. I'm doing something similar with a forum system, but it does not seem likely worth the effort, especially given the points below. MediaWiki at Wikipedia is mirrored, but probably not in the way you meant (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Servers).
7
8 > We did have a Hardened WiKi at one point (about a year ago).
9 > It did not see enough light from the user community so we stopped using it.
10
11 Ahhhh .. a fundamental limiting factor.
14 Br0mGreV wrote:
15 > .. user who want to print the handbook before installing ..
16
17 I've seen collections of hyperlinked documents with organized table of contents that permit sequential viewing / printing of all pages in the "book".