From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Gcc4.1.1 with hardened
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:03:46
1 (O.K....... I'll be the sacrificial bozo :-) )
2
3 I've been running hardened kernels for a year or so with hardened pic in
4 make.conf; but never changed my profile to hardened. PAX seemed to work
5 fine (killed some flakey stuff), as did grsecurity.
6
7 So IIUC, I now have 4.1.1 with neither PAX nor SPP (wondered why Xorg
8 worked so well without paxctl tweaks).
9
10 IIUC, I have at least four alternatives:
11
12 a. Change my profile, revert to 3.4, and recompile everything - in
13 anticipation of upgrading to 4.1.1 when it becomes hardened-capable. (two
14 big upgrades - not my favorite alternative)
15
16 b. Wait 'til 4.1.1 becomes ready and then compile everything with a
17 hardened profiles. (one big upgrade)
18
19 c. Wait 'til 4.2.x is issued and then compile everything......
20
21 d. (?) Hand-job my gcc settings somehow (e.g.):
22
23 "...the current toolchain implements the equivalent of CFLAGS="-fPIE
24 -fstack-protector-all" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro" automatically
25 through GCC's specfile which is a more proper solution. For older
26 hardened-gcc users, add USE="hardened pic" to your /etc/make.conf and then
27 upgrade with the following commands
28 # emerge --oneshot binutils gcc virtual/libc
29 # emerge -e world"
32 So, given that I'm a newbie, and that my next move is all about timing,
33 the questions are:
34
35 1. How long 'til 4.1.1 will be released to hardend profiles (this is not a
36 nag, just need a planning window)?
37
38 2. Will alternative d. even work? If so, would reemerging the hardened
39 profile undo those tweaks when 4.1.1 is hardened ready?
40
41 3. How long 'til 4.2.x becomes hardened available, and will it be a emerge
42 world?
46 > Unmasking gcc-4.1.1 will work in as much as it'll build stuff that runs
47 > fine, but it'll compile everything vanilla unless you modify the specs
48 > file yourself. <=======
51 > This means that you won't get PIE executables (so PaX
52 > ASLR won't do anything), you won't be building with the stack protector,
53 > stuff won't be RELRO/BIND_NOW.
54 >
55 > See the docs on the project website for more information
56 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/ <=== Yep.... with a microscope
57 > :-)
60 TIA
67 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list