From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Gcc4.1.1 with hardened
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:13:06
1 On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:24:24 +0100
2 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, this is a repeat of my question from the previous thread, but I
5 > guess it makes sense to start a new thread.
6 >
7 > What are the implications of taking a 2006.1 stage3 (ie gcc 4.1.1)
8 > turning on the hardened flags and running "emerge -e world"? Is gcc
9 > 4.1.1 supported to any extent at all with the hardened USE flag?
10
11 If you want to set USE=hardened, you should switch the profile (I've
12 probably said this before!) to one of the hardened profiles rather
13 than just editing /etc/make.conf. In the hardened profiles (but not
14 the selinux profiles) you'll find that gcc-4.x is masked, along with
15 gcc-2.4.
16
17 We currently do not supply the modifications necessary to make
18 gcc-4.1.1 "hardened" - they're still (slooowly) under development.
19
20 > Reading a little around the subject suggests that we should stick
21 > with 3.4.x for the time being, but I am putting in a new server and
22 > it seems prudent to get any major work done up front before we go
23 > live. Some people here seem to be implying that gcc 4.1.1 is working
24 > ok for them??
25
26 Unmasking gcc-4.1.1 will work in as much as it'll build stuff that runs
27 fine, but it'll compile everything vanilla unless you modify the specs
28 file yourself. This means that you won't get PIE executables (so PaX
29 ASLR won't do anything), you won't be building with the stack protector,
30 stuff won't be RELRO/BIND_NOW.
31
32 See the docs on the project website for more information
33 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/
36 Kevin F. Quinn