From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Status new selinux reference policy
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:54:23
1 On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:32:52 +0200
2 Marek Wróbel <smbmarek@×××××××××××.pl> wrote:
3
4 > Chris PeBenito wrote:
5 > > Glibc 2.4 and gcc 4.1 being masked is because the
6 > > hardened compiler is not available in gcc yet.
7 >
8 > Do you know what is current status of hardened GCC 4.* ?
9 > Is there any hope that it will be available in next few months ?
10
11 Yes. It's work in progress at the moment. We'll post a notice here
12 when it becomes available.
13
14 > I have tried to search GCC site, but I haven't found anything
15 > interesting. There is no real development roadmap and it is very hard
16 > to find anything about SSP.
17
18 "Hardened GCC" is a Gentoo thing where we change the normal default
19 settings of the compiler - it has nothing to do with upstream GCC so
20 you won't see any mention of it on the GCC website.
21
22 > On the other hand, Wikipedia
23 > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack-smashing_protection) and official
24 > ProPolice site
25 > (http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp/) say that GCC
26 > 4.1 contains reimplementation of SSP.
27
28 That is correct. However SSP is not switched on by default in the
29 normal compiler (that is part of what the "Gentoo Hardened GCC" does).
30
31 > So after hour of reading I am really confused and I would be very
32 > grateful if you could write something about it.
33
34 To understand the hardened toolchain, read through
35 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardened-toolchain.xml
38 Kevin F. Quinn