From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened gentoo and hibernation
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:28:30
1 My first advice would be to forget about suspend-to-disk (hibernate)
2 and go for suspend-to-ram (sleep) - you can implement it securely with
3 the existing feature set of hardened-sources. If you absolutely must
4 hibernate, then yes - you'll need to patch hardened-sources with the
5 suspend2 patchset if you're committed to using that kernel. Once you
6 patch, there are many resources and HOWTOs available discussing the
7 steps to use the suspend2 toolkit to encrypt your hibernation image.
8
9 I, for one, question why you require hardened-sources (or
10 rsbac-sources). The gains they offer over an appropriately secured
11 user-space are marginal at best, and those are mostly eliminated by
12 the concessions you'll make to run typical laptop setups (X,
13 hibernation, etc.) IMO, they're designed as a tertiary layer of
14 defense to protect against malicious local users where firewalls and
15 user-space controls have failed. Unless there is a specific feature
16 of the hardened trees you are looking for, your inexperience with
17 manually patching kernel sources indicates to me you may be just as
18 well off using suspend2-sources. Remember - the only fully secured
19 system is disconnected, powered off, buried in 10 feet of concrete,
20 and guarded by a dozen Marines that haven't been fed in a week.
21 Beyond that, there is only a concept of "sufficiently secure."
22
23 Not to discourage you - I run hardened-sources on a laptop myself, but
24 it doesn't hibernate and doesn't run X.
25 --
26 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list