From: Francesco R <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Suggestion for kernel tree: Pax + linux-vserver
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:27:49
1 2010/11/3 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
2
3 > Just to run an idea up the flagpole...
4 >
5 > I have had good success with a slightly orthogonal approach to securing my
6 > servers. I run a hardened gentoo install, but with linux-vservers for the
7 > guests and additionally pax kernel patches.
8 >
9 > The motivation is that Pax has mitigated a reasonable proportion of recent
10 > kernel issues. On the userspace side, linux-vservers are something like
11 > chroot-on-steroids and make it very straightforward to ringfence user
12 > applications without quite going to a full virtualisation solution. (For
13 > those who don't know, Linux-vservers look and smell like a virtualisation
14 > solution, but they are implemented using a kind of chroot - lxc containers
15 > are re-implementing the same idea, but currently much less advanced)
16 >
17 > Up until now I have also been running kernels with the grsec patches, but
18 > merging those with linux-vserver is relatively complex since there is some
19 > overlap. Additionally it would appear that linux-vservers offer a large
20 > chunk of the protection that the grsec restrictions should offer. You loose
21 > the grsec RBAC system by going only PAX, but that doesn't quite work as
22 > expected with vservers, so I would think most users wouldn't implement that
23 > anyway
24 >
25 > So the proposal is to recognise another secure setup which is:
26 >
27 > - Minimal host installation + linux-vserver / pax kernel
28 > - Applications moved to lightweight vserver guests (go pretty much one
29 > application / webapp per guest)
30 >
31 > Who cares?
32 >