From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Suggestion for kernel tree: Pax + linux-vserver
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:24:37
1 Just to run an idea up the flagpole...
2
3 I have had good success with a slightly orthogonal approach to securing
4 my servers. I run a hardened gentoo install, but with linux-vservers
5 for the guests and additionally pax kernel patches.
6
7 The motivation is that Pax has mitigated a reasonable proportion of
8 recent kernel issues. On the userspace side, linux-vservers are
9 something like chroot-on-steroids and make it very straightforward to
10 ringfence user applications without quite going to a full virtualisation
11 solution. (For those who don't know, Linux-vservers look and smell like
12 a virtualisation solution, but they are implemented using a kind of
13 chroot - lxc containers are re-implementing the same idea, but currently
14 much less advanced)
15
16 Up until now I have also been running kernels with the grsec patches,
17 but merging those with linux-vserver is relatively complex since there
18 is some overlap. Additionally it would appear that linux-vservers offer
19 a large chunk of the protection that the grsec restrictions should
20 offer. You loose the grsec RBAC system by going only PAX, but that
21 doesn't quite work as expected with vservers, so I would think most
22 users wouldn't implement that anyway
23
24 So the proposal is to recognise another secure setup which is:
25
26 - Minimal host installation + linux-vserver / pax kernel
27 - Applications moved to lightweight vserver guests (go pretty much one
28 application / webapp per guest)
29
30 Who cares?
31