From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Problems compiling xen - please help...
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:21:08
1 On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 17:59 +0000, Ed W wrote:
2 > > Thanks for everyones responses, but this is what I already tried!!!
3 > >
4 > > When I switch compiler using gcc-config (see previous email for
5 > > example command line) then there NO DIFFERENCE in compiled output!?!
6 > >
7 > > Does this suggest that something screwy is happening and it's not
8 > > really changing the compiler in the way I expect? "gcc -v" is
9 > > changing though...
13 > Whoooa. Hold that thought. On a sudden realisation I tried blowing
14 > away the ccache directory and switched to hardened_nopiessp and it then
15 > built correctly... Very strange.
16 >
17 > I was under the mistaken believe that ccache could detect when the
18 > compiler was switched and would not re-use it's old cache files.
19 > Certainly it was taking different amounts of time to compile when I
20 > changed compiler versus re-running under the orig compiler config.
21 > Obviously the cache algorithm is not perfect though.
22 >
23 > Heads up then that when switching compiler to the non-hardened one it
24 > makes sense to blow away the ccache of disable it's use.
25
26 That probably makes sense for any time a gcc-config switch happens. You
27 should probably file a bug about that for the maintainer of gcc-config.
31 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
32 Gentoo Linux
35 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list