From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] xattr/acl/cap
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 00:03:00
1 On 05/20/2012 05:35 PM, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'm not sure is this right place to ask…
5
6 Oh no! You committed a grave sin asking here ... j/k :) You can always
7 ask and if we don't know then we'll redirect.
10 > What is current status for filesystem's xattr, acl and caps?
11
12 Working on it but progress is slow in gentoo. The biggest obstacles are
13 almost out of the way though with portage and tar both supporting xattr
14 now but only in ~arch.
17 > I'm usually keep all of this disabled in kernel, because I don't use them
18 > and wanna avoid needless complexity. But today consolekit (which I don't
19 > use, but which is installed anyway as someone's dependency) asked me to
20 > enable CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL. And I decide to check all this crap once again.
21 >
22 > I may be wrong here, but after glance look at it I got this impression:
23 >
24 > XATTR
25 > Needed only if you use ACL or CAPS (or wanna play with custom file
26 > attributes).
27 > ACL
28 > Not sure about consolekit requirement above, but otherwise it looks
29 > useless (if you don't need to use complicated file permissions).
30 > CAPS
31 > Looks promising, it's always good to remove suid bit, BUT:
32 > a) looks like only app which uses it now on my workstation is
33 > wireshark, even /bin/ping is still installed suid
34 > b) pam_cap.so doesn't used by default (not sure why) so you can't change
35 > user's default capabilities using /etc/security/capability.conf
36 >
37 > So, until most/all suid apps in portage get CAPS support for me it looks
38 > like it's better to switch off all these things.
41 Okay this is where I have to redirect you because I'm not aware of this
42 particular issue, ie why consolekit needs tmpfs posix acls. To be
43 clear, this means acl support on files that are on a tmpfs system. This
44 was pushed upstream by redhat that needed it for selinux. But if you're
45 not running a selinux system, i'm not sure why consolekit would need this.
46
47 In general though, its safe to turn on xattr/acl/caps even if you don't
48 use them, and in some cases, eg selinux or the new pax markings, you
49 must have xattr.
50
51 I don't think this answers your question but it does give you more context.
55 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
56 Chair of Information Technology
57 D'Youville College
58 Buffalo, NY 14201