From: Gavin <gavin@××××.com>
To: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Yet more SELinux news
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:55:49
1 So what's the "best" way to compile a Gentoo system with the linux 2.6.2+ kernel?
2
3 I'm still fairly new to Gentoo, but it seems that in order to build glibc 2.3.3 and a 2.6.2+ kernel, an appropriate linux-headers package is helpful. I couldn't find one yet (most recent in sys-kernel/linux-headers is 2.6.1), so I "emerge gentoo-dev-sources", and then followed the new style in gentoo-dev-sources/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3_rc2.ebuild using the new kernel-2.eclass and created a linux-headers ebuild for 2.6.3-rc2. Frankly, I was a little surprised that gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3_rc2.ebuild was released without a corresponding/compatible linux-headers.
4
5 After emerging "system" in the process of building Gentoo with the gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1 kernel and using my new linux-header ebuild script for 2.6.3 (mostly just uses the new kernel-2.eclass), I found that /usr/include/linux/version.h wasn't updated correctly and still claimed to be a 2.4 kernel! It seems the linux-headers/kernel*.eclass scripts have a bug .. they don't case "make" in the linux source tree to rebuild/update a number of header files, so a number of header files are not created/updated before being "merged" into /usr/include. Obviously compiling some packages with version.h:KERNEL_VERSION still defined to 2.4 in a system running a 2.6 kernel is going to cause headaches. You need to manually copy some files from the *compiled* 2.6 source tree to /usr/include.
6
7 I don't see the advantage in setting up the entire linux kernel source tree twice (once to install the headers, and once to make the kernel proper). In the future I'm going to manually install the linux headers from my source tree: cp -ax include/asm/* /usr/include/asm; cp -ax include/asm-generic/* /usr/include/asm-generic; cp -ax include/linux/* /usr/include/linux; .. plus cleanup, etc.
8
9 Am I really so far out on the "bleeding" edge with Gentoo, or have I missed an easier path to compile a Gentoo system from source with the 2.6.2+ kernel?
10
11 Cheers,
12 Gavin
13
14 ----- Original Message -----
15 From: "Andy Dustman" <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
16 To: <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
17 Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:48 AM
18 Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Yet more SELinux news