From: Geoff Kassel <gkassel@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive (WAS: latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:55:37
1 > Called post-mortem analysis. No tricks, just gdb.
2
3 I thought gdb didn't work on code compiled as a PIE? (Ala
4 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardened-toolchain.xml) If you've had
5 success in this area, I'd like to know, so I can update the documentation.
6
7 My question is - can you get the process running past the point of the PaX
8 fault? That's what I want to achieve, because not all such faults are
9 security compromising, and the user may not have had the foresight to set the
10 PaX markings appropriately before running the application. (The main
11 limitation of the chpax/paxctl tools.)
12
13 > The mechanism is not real-time, the changes should be applied before
14 > running. However the settings are preserved.
15
16 Yes, in the ELF header. I was asking about the possibility of real-time
17 changes to processes in the future of PaX, as I know about this limitation of
18 the current chpax/paxctl tools.
19
20 Thanks for your assistance, however.
21