From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:02:20
1 On 03/03/2010 17:35, Natanael Copa wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Ed W<lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I don't have physical access to all machines, so any interesting cheap
6 >> random number generator dongles would be interesting to know about, but will
7 >> not be a full solution in this case. If I'm missing some obvious option
8 >> which is available on recent Intel/AMD hardware which might give me larger
9 >> amounts of entropy then please shout?
10 >>
11 > media-sound/audio-entropyd?
15 Thanks for the idea - the server is a rackmount thing rented from a
16 hosting company and I don't think it has any soundcard onboard...
17
18 I believe that the kernel doesn't use the network interrupt for
19 randomness, only keyboard, mouse and HD. This isn't a great situation
20 for a headless, mouseless webserver which tries as hard as possible not
21 to touch the disk...
22
23 I ordered an "Entropy Key" from here: http://www.entropykey.co.uk/
24
25 This will help for the office server, but it doesn't really sort out my
26 rented racks (no, don't really want some crazy solution involving ssh
27 piping the data to it...)
28
29 Would be very grateful for any other ideas here. I think the solution is
30 likely to use a lower quality rng source for the SSP protection rather
31 than generating more entropy - I'm not really see that a super high
32 quality rng source is really needed for SSP? Possibly a local attacker
33 can write code which flogs the rng until they figure out the params,
34 then use it as part of an SSP attack, however, its low on my list of
35 fears...
36
37 I can see that glibc previously used to use erandom, but this patch was
38 dropped - any reason?
39
40 Cheers
41