From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>
To: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Running short of entropy...
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:48:09
1 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> 2010-03-03 18:41:
2 > On 03/03/2010 17:35, Natanael Copa wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Ed W<lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> I don't have physical access to all machines, so any interesting cheap
7 >>> random number generator dongles would be interesting to know about, but will
8 >>> not be a full solution in this case. If I'm missing some obvious option
9 >>> which is available on recent Intel/AMD hardware which might give me larger
10 >>> amounts of entropy then please shout?
11 >>>
12 >> media-sound/audio-entropyd?
16 > Thanks for the idea - the server is a rackmount thing rented from a
17 > hosting company and I don't think it has any soundcard onboard...
18 >
19 > I believe that the kernel doesn't use the network interrupt for
20 > randomness, only keyboard, mouse and HD. This isn't a great situation
21 > for a headless, mouseless webserver which tries as hard as possible not
22 > to touch the disk...
23 >
24 > I ordered an "Entropy Key" from here: http://www.entropykey.co.uk/
25 >
26 > This will help for the office server, but it doesn't really sort out my
27 > rented racks (no, don't really want some crazy solution involving ssh
28 > piping the data to it...)
29 >
30 > Would be very grateful for any other ideas here. I think the solution is
31 > likely to use a lower quality rng source for the SSP protection rather
32 > than generating more entropy - I'm not really see that a super high
33 > quality rng source is really needed for SSP? Possibly a local attacker
34 > can write code which flogs the rng until they figure out the params,
35 > then use it as part of an SSP attack, however, its low on my list of
36 > fears...
37 >
38 > I can see that glibc previously used to use erandom, but this patch was
39 > dropped - any reason?
40 >
41 > Cheers
42 >
43 > Ed W
44
45 Interesting subject.
46
47 Here's [1] another technique I found to make use of the rng in the TPM if it's
48 available. Seems to be working fairly well in my tests so far [3], though I
49 think I'd prefer an entropy key as well. From some other reading [2] it
50 seems that the virtio-rng modules (for use with qemu/kvm based guests)
51 can make use of a host side /dev/hw_random device which I believe the
52 entropy key provides. The TPM currently does not, though may in the
53 future.
54
55 Cheers,
56 Brian
57
58 [1] http://www.outflux.net/blog/archives/2010/02/08/rng-tools-with-tpm/
59 [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/283103/
60 [3] I was able to enable it in the BIOS using the IPMI SOL, so hopefully
61 you won't need physical access. Not doing anything like TrustedGrub
62 yet. To be honest, I don't really see the point. Feel free to
63 enlighten me.