From: Dale Pontius <DEPontius@××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-hardened List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Coming back to the fold
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 01:26:15
1 It has been months since my SELinux system ran in enforcing mode. I
2 would like to return to the fold, but there's work to be done, first.
3 This is a home/learning machine, so the security isn't as big an issue
4 as it would be in another environment. But one of these days I'd like to
5 make it an OpenVPN endpoint, so I can get access from work or travel,
6 and I want it back on SELinux before letting it live on the Internet,
7 even behind my hardware firewall/router.
8
9 1: I run several pieces of software that have no policy, for starters
10 there's Dovecot IMAP, smartmontools, and leafnode. I understand that the
11 targeted policy will make this easier, and it's coming soon, but is
12 there any idea when. Given a major change coming soon, I'd just as soon
13 wait, rather than do any work twice.
14
15 2: I've had a very bad time getting avc warnings - to the point that I'm
16 not sure I've ever gotten any, after booting native. Part of the problem
17 was the way I partitioned, and had /var be a symlink. But that's fixed
18 now, I've done the relabel, and still no warnings. A few months back I
19 juggled the partitioning, did another relabel, and still no warnings.
20 I'm not really sure where to start debugging this one.
21
22 3: I'm running xfs, so I'm stuck back at 2.6.11-hardened-r15. I
23 understand that this will be fixed with 2.6.16, and there's a ~x86
24 hardened out now. At the moment, I presume I can wait for a stable, but
25 I'm curious about how it's coming. Actually, right now I wouldn't have
26 much choice about which kernel to run, since the last stable hardened
27 2.6 kernel that works with xfs is off the end of the belt.
28
29 4: This machine is a k6-3. In other words, I've begun to look at distcc
30 in order to get better compile times. But this means that I've also got
31 to install crossdev, get an i586 hardened gcc installed on the other
32 machine(s) that I may use to compile. Is there anything special, any
33 gotchas, to adding a hardened compiler, over an above reading the distcc
34 and crossdev documentation?
35
36 5: I find SELinux intimidating enough, but is there any way for the
37 lesser-knowledged to assist?
38
39 Thanks,
40 Dale Pontius