From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GCC4 (again...)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:51:27
1 klondike wrote:
2 >
3 >> Apologies for replying to my own post, but I just realised that you
4 >> were posing the question in the context of klondike's blog post. I do
5 >> not know what the status of SSP is in the overlays and/or experimental
6 >> toolchains so I'll bow out and leave it to one of the toolchain gurus
7 >> to provide a credible response. My answer applies to the gcc ebuild in
8 >> the mainline tree.
9 > Although I may be wrong, AFAIK SSP works nice with almost anything
10 > except libstdc++, also packages which need it to be disabled (ie
11 > thunderbird) usually do it without a problem of after pattching a bit
12 > the ebuild. Anyway, I think the best one to answer is Zorry or Xake as
13 > they maintain it.
14
15 So the Xake overlay is GCC 4.3.2 with the GCC 4 SSP enabled?
16
17 My limited understanding is that the GCC 4 (new) SSP implementation
18 should be relatively benign and supported already by a modern toolchain
19 with no further patches? I would naively assume that since Redhat (and
20 others) seem to be building their distros with it turned on that most
21 packages would already be largely patched upstream to cope with it?
22 (certainly I am more interested in server packages than desktop packages)
23
24 > Anyway, at least on the overlay uclibc is still not supported :(
25 > http://github.com/Xake/toolchain-overlay/blob/54581c25b74be5a5dc3d8c1de61dba55db7c639f/README
28 Does Xake hang out here? Curious as to what the issues will be found in
29 uclibc. I'm not specially tied to uclibc, just that it seems to work
30 nicely so far and I'm not desperately tight on drive space...
31
32 Ed W