From: Dave Armstrong <dave0x01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Current state of Xorg, KMS, and iopl/ioperm
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:33:02
1 Patching the Linux kernel to disable the sys_iopl and sys_ioperm system
2 calls (e.g., by setting CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_IO=y) used to cause the xserver
3 to fail to start even with KMS-enabled drivers -- at least in the case
4 of the in-kernel radeon driver.
5
6 I don't know what recent changes are responsible but for whatever
7 reason, X now works fine without the aforementioned system calls on the
8 same hardware.
9
10 Unfortunately, it doesn't work on another machine using the Intel driver
11 and same X/kernel versions. It fails with the error: "failed to set
12 IOPL". Does anyone know why the Intel, but not Radeon driver, might be
13 failing? I don't have any particular knowledge of the inner-workings of
14 the graphics stack
15
16 A quick search turned up the following on the X mailing list: "Fix
17 initialization when iopl is forbidden":
18 http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-September/033656.html
19
20 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/xserver/patch/?id=d88fb00d791c2b19cf9dd244276838aba3a6b442
21
22 The above patch applies to x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.2 (with a fuzz
23 factor of 2 but it's good) but I haven't had a chance to test it on the
24 affected machine. I'll post a followup if it fixes the problem.
25
26 Dave