From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Production server security
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:18:16
1 On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 22:08 +0100, Michael wrote:
2 > Hi Viktors,
3 >
4 > Thanks for all your answers. You mentioned some things I wasn't thinking
5 > about at all. My solution would only work if I or the other admin (who
6 > is the owner) would notice increased use in bandwith, and it would only
7 > work to the point that they can't harm the installation on the server a
8 > lot.
9 >
10 > You've quite convinced me of your solution, but should I expect a lot
11 > more work to build and maintain gentoo installs with grsec and hardened?
12 >
13 > For me it won't be much of a problem, but the other admin is still
14 > learning gentoo (he never used linux before) but he should be able to
15 > maintain the server without me so it shouldn't be to hard for him
16 > either... Security is more important of course, but the easier the
17 > better (or the more automation the better).
18 >
19 > Should I expect to be able to install grsec and hardened and have it
20 > work just like a normal gentoo install?
21
22 Yes pretty much. grsec+pax+hardened-toolchain(even w/o RBAC/SE/RSBAC)
23 offers admins a mostly transparent security system that vastly
24 improves security on linux. RBAC/SE/RSBAC mostly are for containing
25 an intrusion after it's already happened. With grsec+pax+toolchain the
26 idea is to prevent the intrusion from happening in the first place.
29 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
30 Gentoo Linux
33 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list