From: Michael <mycroes@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Production server security
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:26:54
1 Op dinsdag 16-01-2007 om 09:16 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Ned Ludd:
2 > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 22:08 +0100, Michael wrote:
3 > >
4 > > You've quite convinced me of your solution, but should I expect a lot
5 > > more work to build and maintain gentoo installs with grsec and hardened?
6 > >
7 > > For me it won't be much of a problem, but the other admin is still
8 > > learning gentoo (he never used linux before) but he should be able to
9 > > maintain the server without me so it shouldn't be to hard for him
10 > > either... Security is more important of course, but the easier the
11 > > better (or the more automation the better).
12 > >
13 > > Should I expect to be able to install grsec and hardened and have it
14 > > work just like a normal gentoo install?
15 >
16 > Yes pretty much. grsec+pax+hardened-toolchain(even w/o RBAC/SE/RSBAC)
17 > offers admins a mostly transparent security system that vastly
18 > improves security on linux. RBAC/SE/RSBAC mostly are for containing
19 > an intrusion after it's already happened. With grsec+pax+toolchain the
20 > idea is to prevent the intrusion from happening in the first place.
21
22 I guess this is the way to go then. My last question involves the
23 overhead caused by these security enhancers. I remember something about
24 SELinux giving quite a performance penalty, but that's not based on
25 facts. I don't need any numbers to believe the overhead is small or
26 anything, I just don't want the dual opteron servers to feel like they
27 were pentium 3s.
28
29 Thanks for all the help so far, everyone who replied has provided very
30 useful information and I can only hope I can do the same for each one of
31 you in the future.
32 Greetings,
33
34 Michael