From: "Brian A. Davis" <bridavis@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] PAX: General protection fault, where logged?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 04:01:12
1 Thanks guys, I will try to get this either by serial console or netconsole.
2
3 I will also make sure I have kernel symbols turned on.
4
5 Brian
6
7 Will Keaney wrote:
8 > Brian A. Davis wrote:
9 >> I'm getting a PAX General protection fault, which outputs a stack
10 >> trace to the console (monitor), but there's no way for me to get it
11 >> since the machine is crashed at this point.
12 >>
13 >> Where would this be getting logged? grep PAX * in /var/log doesn't
14 >> turn up anything.
15 >>
16 >> Thanks,
17 >> Brian
18 > There are a couple of ways to get the trace from this. One is to
19 > attach a serial console to the machine in question and log the crash
20 > from another computer (see
21 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt).
22 > Another is to configure netconsole, which will allow you to capture
23 > kernel messages from another machine over ethernet. See
24 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt for
25 > instructions on this.
26 > If you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of the stack trace.
27 > Finally, you can transcribe it by hand. This is veeeery tedious.
28 >
29 > Hope this helps.
30 >
31 > Will