From: Miguel Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Lisp vs hardened
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:49:35
1 Hi,
2
3 On 5/2/07, atoth@××××××××××.hu <atoth@××××××××××.hu> wrote:
4 > I was about to install maxima on two boxes - both of them are
5 > Hardened/Grsec with the pie-ssp toolchain and PaX.
6 > Since maxima needs a Common Lisp implementation, I would have to install
7 > one of them. I didn't succeded: clisp and cmucl fails with various errors.
8 > It seems to me, that both of these are related to the hardened features of
9 > the machines. The third available option is sbcl, which explicitly
10 > instructs hardened users to switch to vanilla profile in order to achieve
11 > a succesful installation.
12 >
13 > Are there any possibilities for hardened users for a common lisp
14 > implementation without lowering the security measures of their systems?
17 All this hardened setups live in "tradicional C world" were data and
18 code are two separate things.
19 They enforce that quite heavily...
20
21 In LISP, data and code are one and the same, so all hardened profiles
22 believe that any LISP environment is "violating" simple principles
23 such has"executing data".
24
25 Having heap and stack without execution permissions invalidate the use
26 of LISP .. since it needs do execute data.
27
28 I've don't recall being able to use lisp on setups where the process
29 heap is not executable. But I could be proven wrong...
30
31 Best regards,
32
33 > Regards,
34 > Dw.
35 >
36 > --
37 > dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus Szakorvos jelölt, 06-20-825-8057, 06-30-5962-962
38 > Attila Toth MD, Radiologist in Training, +36-20-825-8057, +36-30-5962-962
42 > --
43 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
49 Miguel Sousa Filipe
50 --