From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened-lists <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Downgrading glibc
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:55:36
1 Thanks for the note.
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > did you upgrade to gcc-4.1? If yes you may not use the hardened profile
6 > but the hardened use flag. gcc-4.1 is not yet supported by the hardened
7 > profile. AFAIK
8
9 Yep..... :-(
13 > View your current profile
14 > ls -l /etc/make.profile
15
16 I had a standard profile; now it's hardened, with my make.conf file
17 supplemented with the use flags no longer on by default.
20 > How to switch to the hardened profile
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml#hardenedprofile
22
23 Thanks - I've done that (hardened profile) this time around as I rebuild.
26 > [OT] Note for the doc devs
27 > By reading some lists for a while now it seems that there are many
28 > people out there which followed the hardened tutorial. The problem is
29 > that you do not mention that users have to switch to the hardened
30 > profile. I only found this in the FAQ.
31 > I also followed the hardened tutorial and thought I am using it but I
32 > only had the hardened use flag and a hardened kernel with grsec and pax
33 > enabled. Nothing more. Maybe it is possible to add some information
34 > about how to really switch to the hardened profile in the tutorial.
35
36 Well, I built this over a year ago, and never caught the hardened profile
37 comment - I'm a newbie and got the impression that one only needed to put
38 in "hardened pic". As you point out, others fell into this situation as
39 well.
40
41 FWIW, the hardend sources project works great IMHO, but documentation
42 ought to do two things:
43
44 1. Redo the FAQ page. All of the pieces are there, but they're spread all
45 over the page. Create one section that sequentially covers the steps on
46 how to create a hardened profile/kernel. For example, at this time, it
47 would advise the user to start with 2006.0 (doesn't say it now, and I bet
48 someone will start with 2006.1).
49
50 It'll also list the flags that are in the standard profile that are not in
51 the hardened - all in sequential order, not spread about.
52
53 2. Declare the GCC update NA for hardened users - in the GCC update guide.
54 There is some sort of vague reference to hardened in the guide, but it
55 sure didn't click with me.
60 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list