From: Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Invalid opcode
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 15:02:39
1 On 04/30/2012 09:09 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 04/30/2012 12:10 PM, Stan Sander wrote:
3 >> trap invalid opcode
4 >
5 > Two possibilities: 1) the running program aims its instruction pointer
6 > at some garbage. I doubt it in this case. 2) Uour binaries make use
7 > of op codes that your hardware is not able to handle, like I noticed
8 > your cpu doesn't support ssse3 or sse4. So, for example, if some use
9 > flag triggers code to be compiled that needs those instructions sets,
10 > and you're cpu doesn't support them, you'll hit this error.
11 >
12 > What's missing is your global CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CHOST, USE and any
13 > other goodies that might affect how your binaries are getting built.
17 Anthony,
18
19 Thanks for the response. I did some more searching and reading and came
20 to the conclusion the root cause is #2, and I've made a change in my
21 CFLAGS to use -march=native. I'm in the process of an emerge -e just to
22 make sure nothing remains with the old flags. I'll post back how it
23 goes, but it seemed to be a good change to try since it sets/unsets
24 various flags that could lead to the opcode errors.
27 Stan & HD Tashi Grad 10/08 Edgewood, NM SWR
28 PR - Cindy and Jenny - Sammamish, WA NWR
29 http://www.cci.org