From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] missing the meeting
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:29:05
1 On 12/18/14 20:36, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 12/18/2014 07:09 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> Hi fellow hardened devs:
4 >>
5 >> I'm sorry for missing the meeting but things came up and the day got
6 >> hectic. It is an important meeting because we were to discuss:
7 >>
8 >> 1) what we want with toolchain.eclass - There is a move to get rid of
9 >> the eclas because it is "messy". This is probably a bad thing in
10 >> general and especially for hardened so we should discuss the pros and
11 >> cons and what we want.
12 >>
13 >> 2) what to do about tar and POSIX capabilities in the context of
14 >> building stage3's. Utilities like ping that used to be setuid to root
15 >> are now just using posix caps. But preserving xattrs with tar is
16 >> tricky. Since we dealt with this for the user.pax.* xattr namespace
17 >> jmbsvicetto asked us to look at security.capability. However, the issue
18 >> may now be mute because I just got a message from him that
19 >>
20 >> tar --xattrs --xattrs-include=security.capability
21 >> --xattrs-include=user.* --acls -xjpvf
22 >>
23 >> works to get us all the xattr goodies we need for hardened and gentoo in
24 >> general.
27 >> We should try to discuss 1 soon-ish before Cthulu awakens and madness
28 >> reigns in gentoo.
29 >>
30 > regarding 1: a refactoring is in order probably, but what are the
31 > specific complaints?
32
33 mgorny doesn't like it and says its intrusive. I was not able to get
34 more out of him. See
35
36 https://www.marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=141804148612262&w=2
39 > regarding 2: The thing we need to ask is if we want to ask users to run
40 > that to extract stage3 tarballs, instead of -xf and the like.
43 Also responding to Swift. Since we build the stage3's we decide what
44 xattrs get in there from what is set by the ebuilds --- "we" = any
45 gentoo dev via the ebuild he/she writes. The question then is up to us
46 what we want. Right now we are including only security.capability and
47 user.pax.flags. releng has adopted a blacklist policy where all xattrs
48 are excluded unless we specifically include them. So acls and selinux
49 are not included.
50
51 Note: this is just what gets into the stage3 tarball. Once unpacked,
52 the user is free to set whatever xattrs he/she wants.
55 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
56 Chair of Information Technology
57 D'Youville College
58 Buffalo, NY 14201