From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] missing the meeting
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:37:30
1 On 12/18/2014 07:09 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi fellow hardened devs:
3 >
4 > I'm sorry for missing the meeting but things came up and the day got
5 > hectic. It is an important meeting because we were to discuss:
6 >
7 > 1) what we want with toolchain.eclass - There is a move to get rid of
8 > the eclas because it is "messy". This is probably a bad thing in
9 > general and especially for hardened so we should discuss the pros and
10 > cons and what we want.
11 >
12 > 2) what to do about tar and POSIX capabilities in the context of
13 > building stage3's. Utilities like ping that used to be setuid to root
14 > are now just using posix caps. But preserving xattrs with tar is
15 > tricky. Since we dealt with this for the user.pax.* xattr namespace
16 > jmbsvicetto asked us to look at security.capability. However, the issue
17 > may now be mute because I just got a message from him that
18 >
19 > tar --xattrs --xattrs-include=security.capability
20 > --xattrs-include=user.* --acls -xjpvf
21 >
22 > works to get us all the xattr goodies we need for hardened and gentoo in
23 > general.
26 > We should try to discuss 1 soon-ish before Cthulu awakens and madness
27 > reigns in gentoo.
28 >
29 regarding 1: a refactoring is in order probably, but what are the
30 specific complaints?
31
32 regarding 2: The thing we need to ask is if we want to ask users to run
33 that to extract stage3 tarballs, instead of -xf and the like.
36 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)