From: Rob Kendrick <rjek@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:12:31
1 On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
2 lists@×××.org wrote:
3
4 > Right, he simply turned /dev/random into /dev/urandom.
5 > I was under the impression the entropy key was simply a fancy PRNG.
6 > Now that I know it offers true randomness, I'm more impressed. Also
7 > curious exactly what it uses as a source.
8
9 From http://www.entropykey.co.uk/tech/:
10
11 "The Entropy Key uses P-N semiconductor junctions reverse biassed with
12 a high enough voltage to bring them near to, but not beyond, breakdown
13 in order to generate noise. In other words, it has a pair of devices
14 that are wired up in such a way that as a high potential is applied
15 across them, where electrons do not normally flow in this direction and
16 would be blocked, the high voltage compresses the semiconduction gap
17 sufficiently that the occasional stray electron will quantum tunnel
18 through the P-N junction. (This is sometimes referred to as avalanche
19 noise.) When this happens is unpredictable, and this is what the
20 Entropy Key measures."
21
22 It's a pretty standard trick. What's special is that it uses two, and
23 mixes the contents together, and so it can detect when one fails. Oh,
24 and its price. (Other, much less sophisticated devices, cost as much
25 as ten times more and are toys in terms of their security against
26 attack.)
27
28 B.