From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New class diagram and use case
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:36:51
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 23:16, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 17:03, Paul de Vrieze wrote: > > I find an after-the-fact interference idea to be quite unnatural. Another > > option would be to feed the backend two xml files which basically have > > null actions such that they complement eachoter. Such a solution however > > would be suboptimal to me > > I don't understand why this is unnatural. Could you develop a case > scenario what would warrant the pausing? Personally, I would prefer > hooks for user defined scripts (between stages).
Say that I want to do custom filesystem creation to create extra inodes, a different blocksize, or whatever. What I would like to do is able to just use the installer until the point where it asks about the filesystem creation. At that point I ask the installer to put into effect the options I have chosen, and I use mke2fs/mkfs.whatever to create my filesystem. Then I want to say to the frontend (which is running at the top half of the split console) that I performed this step manually, and then continue. If I would need to first make the choice and then later get into the system it would be counterintuitive for me. Do I agree that such actions break any automatic install recording? yes. Do I think we should offer it? yes. Why? because gentoo is about choice and control. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: