From: Bryan Quigley <gquigs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:08:10
I am a noob with gentoo and linux. Are you trying to make it harder for me
to install gentoo, and make it take more time?
gentoo was my first real attempt at linux, and I installed it as I read the
handbook. I didnt read and master the handbook before starting the install.
If you believe that someone having trouble with gentoo would ask it on a
list instead of reading the handbook. Then might they just ask the questions
from the test?

On 9/19/05, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o> wrote:
> > Łukasz Damentko wrote: > > I dislike the idea of quiz, i'd prefer opening them handbook page in > > firefox at the start of installer's GNOME, just to show what they can > > use. > > I agree that a pre-install quiz is a poor solution to this perceived > problem. This doesn't seem like an appropriate role for the installer. > What is to stop people from grabbing a list of correct answers before > installation begins? How will public relations be able to put an > up-spin on the installer not trusting people to be l33t enough to use > it? Not good for the community, me thinks. > > Gentoo has always come with the disclaimer of being good for learning > about Linux and open source software. I don't see why the suggestion of > prior Linux experience will change with the advent of the installer. > > That being said, I know nothing about the installer other than the bits > I've picked up on list. Please forgive me if this is spam. > > Regards, > -Nick Dimiduk > -- > gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list > >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] educating users Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>