From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Re: distcc LiveCD
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:06:33
1 On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:41 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 October 2005 08:06, Pingveno wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Oops, time to answer my own question. distcc-livecd
5 > > (http://distcc-livecd.sourceforge.net/) does what I need. However, I'm
6 > > not sure if the version of GCC on the CD being different than the main
7 > > system (3.4 vs 3.3) would create problems. Any experiences with such
8 > > potential problems?
9 >
10 > In general this doesn't work. All distcc nodes should have the same
11 > compiler. If the minor number (the 3rd one) is different, it often still
12 > works, but there are no guarantees.
13
14 By the way, this is *exactly* why we do not ship any distcc-enabled
15 LiveCD images. We'd have to make a new CD for every version of gcc we
16 have laying around the tree.
17
18 Perhaps instead, you would do better to build a CD that has all of the
19 components for a Windows-based distcc, as they don't require access to
20 the registry, or really to be installed. You can use cygwin/gcc/distcc
21 on Windows, you know.
22
23 At any rate, this would probably belong over on gentoo-releng or
24 gentoo-catalyst instead.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team