From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Re: distcc LiveCD
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:06:33
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:41 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 08:06, Pingveno wrote: > > > > Oops, time to answer my own question. distcc-livecd > > ( does what I need. However, I'm > > not sure if the version of GCC on the CD being different than the main > > system (3.4 vs 3.3) would create problems. Any experiences with such > > potential problems? > > In general this doesn't work. All distcc nodes should have the same > compiler. If the minor number (the 3rd one) is different, it often still > works, but there are no guarantees.
By the way, this is *exactly* why we do not ship any distcc-enabled LiveCD images. We'd have to make a new CD for every version of gcc we have laying around the tree. Perhaps instead, you would do better to build a CD that has all of the components for a Windows-based distcc, as they don't require access to the registry, or really to be installed. You can use cygwin/gcc/distcc on Windows, you know. At any rate, this would probably belong over on gentoo-releng or gentoo-catalyst instead. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux